Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Peter Hall and the meaning of awe

By Henry Lipput

Recently I read an article in the New York Times with the headline “How a Bit of Awe Can Improve Your Health.” In the article writer Hope Reese explains “While many of us associate awe with dynamic, life-changing events, the truth is that awe can be a part of everyday life.”

I know what she’s talking about. Each morning I stop on my walk to work to look at the sunrise and, even with clouds, it's a sight that leaves me awestruck. And I stopped and listened with awe to “Waiting for Nothing” on Peter Hall’s brilliant new mini-album/extended EP About Last Night (Subjangle).

I don’t remember why or how I got to this song, the fifth track on the album, perhaps I didn’t start at the beginning. But I was immediately struck by its gorgeous sound, how the vocal, lyrics, and soaring arrangement came together and how it affected me.



“Waiting for Nothing” is just one of the wonderful songs on About Last Night. For example, “In Plain Sight” was released as a single last September. I wrote about it in this blog at the time and also included it as one of my favorite singles of last year calling it “pop of the highest quality.”

Peter Hall has been releasing music as a solo artist since his There’s Something Wrong with Everyone EP in 2020 and his Light the Stars album was the top of my list in my 2021 year-end review. Each collection is a musical step forward and About Last Night is just another amazing and yes, awesome, gift for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment