Tuesday, June 21, 2022

The return of CoolDad

 Jim Appio was, and always will be, CoolDad. He began the CoolDad Music blog back in 2012 and in 2014, in response to his tweet about needing help in writing reviews, I joined his team as a contributing writer. Jim's blog gave me a wonderful opportunity to write about the music I love and make contacts that continue to make me aware of new music.

In 2020, as the pandemic hit and the vibrant music scene around Asbury Park, New Jersey (of which Jim was a vital part), was forced into lockdown, Jim suspended the blog. And I began this one. I had often thought about asking him to contribute to Pure Pop as a guest reviewer but that became difficult as he suffered a stroke last year. 

Jim is working on getting better with the help of  physical, occupational, and speech therapists. One of his therapists suggested he take a crack at writing a review as an exercise. Last week I received his review of last year's Chime School album (an album I enjoyed but didn't get around to reviewing). I'm very happy to post it and in his honor I've made sure to present the review in his patented CoolDad format just as he sent it to me. 

Chime School, Chime School, 2021

by Jim Appio


Chime School is the project of Andy Pastalaniec. I first heard about the project from my friend Al. I was taken by surprise. The band had many things I always like – 12-string guitar, great melody, and great songs. But I had never heard of them before. I bought the album and never looked back.

The album starts with "Wait Your Turn." It's a great start. More 12-string reminiscent of The Smiths and Johnny Marr. From there the record goes on to more ethereal pop. "Fixing Motorcycles" is the standout track – for me anyway – it has all that stuff I like. "It's True" is a short burst of energy right at the end of the album.


I haven't listened to as much music since my stroke, but Chime School has been one I go back to again and again.

Chime School is out now on Slumberland Records.



No comments:

Post a Comment