Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Jazz butcher for the world

 By Henry Lipput

I knew little to nothing about the band The Jazz Butcher when its leader Pat Fish died last year. But the people whose musical opinions I respect on Twitter had a lot to say about the importance of his music to their lives.

I haven’t done the deep dive into the band’s back catalog (founded in 1982 they had an 11- album run in the first 13 years of their career) that I told myself I should do. But I have been listening to, and enjoying, their final album and the first in nine years, The Highest in the Land (Tapete), which was released earlier this year.

The album is full of wonderful tunes and there’s a block of gorgeous ones in the middle of the album. I adore the sound of “Sea Madness,” with its C&W vibe and muted horn, “Don’t Give Up” is a gem and Fish’s take on an “I Will” encounter (with a lyric that recalls Eddy Arnold’s classic “You Don’t Know Me”), and “Amalfi Coast May 1963” is a lovely, melancholy instrumental.



“The Highest in the Land” has a bluesy electric guitar lick and some Al Kooper/Blair Cowan (take your pick) organ fills and the upbeat story song “Melanie Hargreave’s Father’s Jaguar” sounds like a sibling to Squeeze’s “Messed Around.”

And although there few indications in the songs on the album that Pat Fish knew he was dying anytime soon (he was free of cancer when recording of The Highest in the Land began), it’s hard to listen to “Time” (“My time ain’t long/Fishy go to heaven”) as well the closing track “Goodbye Sweetheart” knowing what came next. But he and the band have left us with this marvelous goodbye gift to remember them by.




No comments:

Post a Comment